Why Black Man Caucasians Slackful T-Shirt Demonstrates Hypocrisy - Slackful.com

How the shirt is throwing shade on the Washington “Redskins” logo - demonstrate an ingeniously racialized twist. 

I don't know how you can draw conclusions from these kinds of experiments. It has an inherent sampling bias in that it's only sampling sports fan idiots who talk to strangers about the shirt their wearing... I'm not sure what proportion of the population they represent.

According to USAToday -
"In an effort to turn a mirror back on people privileged enough to not have their respect challenged daily, I decided to wear a shirt that parodied the Washington Redskins logo to a radio panel I was scheduled to be a part of one afternoon. Instead of an image depicting a Native American, it was one that likened a white man, and instead of the slur "Redskins" it said "Caucasians." I specifically had chosen this shirt among the others on the website when I purchased it because it had no derogatory elements." - USAToday

I like the shirt... especially given with the forever debate about the "Redskins" name that should be changed. It's clever and sardonic.
But this is the same trap as the study about white people being bothered by the term "white people"
White person objects - hypocrite
White person that says they don't care - Privilege
White people who agree quietly or just don't even notice it - Majority.

“It didn’t say ‘crackers’ or ‘honkeys’ or anything like that; it said ‘Caucasians.’ I’m like, aren’t y’all Caucasians?” —Frederick Joseph
So, along comes this guy, he was from somewhere in Missoula, and he wanted to talk. So he asked my friend about what life was like up in Browning and what he thought about walking through the world as a Piegan--of course this guy wouldn't know a Piegan from a pig-in-shit, but I'm being as polite about all of this as I know how to be. My friend tells this guy the stories he heard from his grandpa about the Baker Massacre. The guy, says, "when was this?" My friend replies, "1870" the guy says, "why can't you get over it?"


The logos really do make the point that the logo and team name is just blatantly racist. You wouldn't do it with any other group of people but somehow with Native Americans, it hasn't changed.

Well, that just goes to the point the wearer (and I suppose the creator of the shirt) was trying to get across. That, look how far many White people will take things, without the offensive logo, without being used by a commercial franchise for profits, without being labelled with the offensive moniker.... None of those things are included in this version of the shirt, but they still don't like it.

The Indians have at least started phasing out Chief Wahoo and going to the block C.
Miami University were the Redskins and changed their name.
The Kansas City Chiefs changed their logo and approach.
The Atlanta Braves don't have the caricature logo anymore.

The same way everyone gets slightly uncomfortable talking about the N-word...if the R-word begins to have that same connotation, it helps foster an appreciation of the importance of certain words.
People need to be uncomfortable and not okay with seeing the word. Using the word. Simply claiming that it's part of an NFL team should no longer get you a pass on that offense. I think that's incredibly important, and in this particular issue, will likely be a big reason why the name finally changes.


So, by this time, I've had more beer than sense, and I look at this guy and I say, "why do you have to be such a vehoe?" The guy asked me, "what does that mean?" I tell him, "it means white man in Cheyenne." He looks at me and says, "that's the most racist thing I've ever heard, you just called me a slur, what's wrong with you?"
So, to recap, a guy I just met tells someone from Browning to get over and forget a story he heard from his grandpa about how the army murdered his people in 1870, and I'm the racist for telling someone that they are acting like a white man, and using a word in Cheyenne to describe what this guy was doing? As a white man, who grew up on a reservation, the people who don't like this shirt can go to hell. They all deserve to know how it feels.

Comments